Just finished a teddy bear beanie for Hayley. It was super fun to make, I hope it fits! Brown wool is : Naturelle Chunky 14 ply 100% pure NZ wool. Pink wool is : Mill Shop, Quick Knit 45% acrylic, 45% wool, 10% mohair. (feels like plastic when crocheting though....)
Approx Size : Small-Medium Women's.
Pattern Follows: Pattern (In semi pattern-english. This is the first pattern I've written out so I hope it makes sense)
Teddy bear Beanie
- Ch – chain stitch
- Sl – slip stitch
- Tr – treble crochet
- Dc – double crochet
- Fptr – front post triple
- Bptr – back post triple
100g 14 ply 100% wool, brown
- teeny tiny bit of quick knit chunky pink stuff
- 5mm crochet hook (for brown)
- 4mm crochet hook (for pink)
Outer Ear (Make 2 – using brown)
1. Ch 3, 8 tr in 3rd ch from hook. Join round with sl
2. Ch 2, 2 tr in each tr around. Join with sl
3. Ch 1, *1 dc in next tr, 2dc in next tr* repeat * 7 times
4. Ch 1 turn, *1dc in next tr, dc decrease next 2 tr* repeat 7 times fasten off.
Inner Ear (Make 2 – using pink)
1. Ch 3, 6 tr in 3rd ch from hook. Join round with sl
2. Ch1 turn, 2dc, tr, 2tr, 2tr, tr, 2dc in next 6 tr fasten off.
1. Ch3, 10 tr in 3rd ch from hook, join round with sl
2. Ch3, 2tr in each tr around, join with sl
3. Ch3, *tr, 2tr* all the way around. Join sl
4. Ch3, *tr, tr, 2tr* all the way around. Join sl
5. Ch3, tr around increasing every 5th (2tr in every 5th stitch). Join sl
6. Ch3, tr around increasing every 10th. Join sl
7. Ch3, tr around increasing every 15th. Join sl
8. Ch3, tr around increasing every 17th. Join sl
9. Ch3, tr around increasing every 20th. Join sl
10. Ch3, tr around. Join sl
11. Ch3, tr around. Join sl
12. Ch3, tr around decrease every 20th (tr decrease each 20th and 21st stitch together). Join sl
13. Ch3, tr around decrease every 18th. Join sl
14. Ch3, tr around decrease every 16th. Join sl
15. Ch3, tr around decrease every 14th. Join sl
16. Ch3, *fptr, bptr* all the way around. Join sl. Fasten off.
Attach Ears to base. With brown wool
Liana (2011-03-05 09:12:02): You have so good photos!!! But I am sorry-you don't write the size of hat and age of baby/ Can you please write me the sizes of children heads 0-3 m 3-6 m 6-12 m 1-2 years 2-5 years? but anyway You have good step by step tutorial!
Beverley (2011-03-05 12:28:25): Whoops, didn't realize I'd missed such a crucial piece of info. This pattern is actually for an adult hat. It's small-medium women's size.
Jen (2012-01-17 02:30:09): Hi there...love your hat, so I wanted to try to crochet one myself. I don't understand how you attach the inner to the outer ear...?
Beverley (2012-02-18 12:22:42): Glad you like it. When I made the ears the inner and outer ear fitted together quite snuggly, I just pushed the inner inside the outer and stitched both to the hat together by stitching through the base both at the same time, if that makes sense. To build the ears more securely you could try putting them together as I did by pushing the inner inside the outer, then stitching them together around the curve of the ear with something like a whip stitch using the brown wool. It'll be quite visible but if it's tidy should look fine.